Douglas Snider: alias Snidely Whiplash has an addiction and a passion for creating wood sculptures. Doug finds great enjoyment in the blending of quality wood and artistic expression. Doug is an avid fisherman who was taught how to fish by his Grandmother at the age of 5. He learned to surf when he was 9 and his wood sculptures are an expression for his love of the ocean.
Snidely is a highly capable self-taught award winning entrepreneur, artist, carver, and sculptor who uses an arsenal of different tools for his carvings including chainsaw, hammer and chisel, electric hand tools, and grinders.
His background is fine finishes came from the automotive and aerospace industry. At the age of 16 he was sanding, repairing and painting cars bodies during the summer months. By the age of 19 he was preparing and painting airplanes at a local Piper Aircraft Factory in Vero Beach. By the age of 23 he had learned the art of building original fiberglass parts and making molds which require precision finish work for custom production of Corvette body parts.
While working as a NASA subcontractor on the Space Shuttle Program as a Quality Assurance Inspector and Quality Engineer for 31 years, Snidely began carving Tikis as a hobby in 2004. However, his love for offshore fishing turned his attention to carving Saltwater Species Fish in realistic detail. Snidely has created a wood taxidermy service that is unlike any other. His passions for wood carving and fishing has driven him to create and deliver the most realistic wood carvings fish replicas at reasonable prices. Snidely can create nearly anything you can imagine out of wood. The combination of his vast knowledge and experience in the natural properties of wood precision finishes and wood sealing techniques combined with his expertise in attention to detail/quality control is reflected in the fine craftsmanship of his art.
Doug started Custom Carvings by Snidely LLC, Snidely Wood Studio and Island Home Decor in 2005. Now Snidely has his own Art Gallery Open to the Public located at 3905 Kings Highway Cocoa Florida 32927. We offer a large variety of Coastal/Tropical, Surf/Tiki, and Marine Wildlife Home Décor which also displays his custom sculptures and carvings.
Custom Carvings by Snidely LLC is a Green company and Doug is literally a tree hugger because “we only purchase and use rescued wood that has been cut down by land developers and tree trimming companies who would otherwise take this valuable resource to the local dump to be turned into mulch”.
Snidely started displaying his art in professional juried art show nationwide and has placed with awards at several shows over the years.
Snidely has been consigned by many customers, large companies, promotions companies and museums for special projects.
- Consigned by Viking Yacht Company to create full mount tuna and marling trophies for their sponsored tournaments all over the world
- Consigned by Coca-Cola to create Tiki and Surfboard art that is currently on display in Coca-Cola Headquarters Lobby in Atlanta Georgia.
- Guest Artist at Bass Pro Shops.
- Chosen as one of several wood sculptors that created art museum pieces out of the 3500 year old Senator Tree that burned down in Big Tree Park in 2014 in Seminole County.
- Snidely donates many of his art sculptures to charity. He sponsored the Bahama Bay Lymphoma/Leukemia Charity Wahoo Tournament in 2017/18 and 19 by providing all of the tournament trophies and art pieces for the silent auction.
- Snidely was recently consigned to create a Custom live edge resin river reception hub furniture piece for the Melbourne Square Mall that is now on display in front of Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- Placed first in the Wood Sculpture Category at the Orland Lake Eola Art show 2010
- Placed first in the Wood Sculpture Category in the Saint Augustine Art Festival 2019